We all need direction sometimes; even when we have been somewhere before we still need help to get there again. Modern technology has given us numerous intelligent and powerful gadgets to make our lives easier. One such gadget that has been designed to help people to find places easily is the GPS. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It is very popular and is used to guide people, especially while driving. In fact, these days, many modern cars come equipped with this useful device. GPS devices. are available in different types and sizes to suit different purposes. The device functions with the help of a satellite system and shows its user where to go and the best way to get there. Apart from carrying a standard paper road map, it is a good idea to invest in a GPS device because it is easy to handle and is accurate.
Some of the uses of GPS devices:
- To locate places of interests
- TO locate places to eat
- To mark where you parked your vehicle so that you can find your way back easily
- To determine the distance and directions to take from your location to your chosen destination
- To track elevation
- To use for tracing the route while hiking
Basic guidelines on how to use a GPS device
- GPS device
- Turn on your GPS device a few minutes before using it in order to give it time to detect satellite signals. To do this, press the power button.
- Type your starting point - the point, from where you are leaving.
- Type your desired destination. You may do so by typing it in or selecting it from an address book if it has already been saved in the device. Type in the city, state, street name and street number.
- Next, you need to perform a calculation of the distance of the route. The device will prompt you to decide on which route to take depending factors such as distance and the time taken.
- Follow the directions provided by the device. A map will be displayed showing the roads you need to take to get to your intended destination. It is very precise and shows you all the necessary turns you need to take.
Tips and warning
- It is always advisable to carry a paper map with you for reference.
- The GPS device does not work well in buildings or in places where there are a lot of trees.
- GPS devices consume batteries very quickly and so, always remember to take extra batteries.
- GPS devices may tell you where to go to get to a destination but they cannot tell you what you will encounter along the way. This includes mountains, swamps or canyons. Therefore, it is a good idea to take along a paper map for backup apart from using it for reference.
- Read the instruction manual to get familiar with the functions and how to operate the device.
- Store addresses so that you can select them when you need them in the future instead of typing them all over again.